Friday, January 18, 2013

Soldier's Angel

I started out this new year with a bang! One of the things I am doing is adopting a soldier. I signed up with an organization called Soldier's Angels. If you haven't heard about them and are interested in doing your part to help out our beloved soldier's over seas, check it out!

By adopting a soldier you are committing to sending 1 letter a week and 1-2 care packages a month. Well after I got my first letter sent off quickly, I decided to put my crafty side to work! I sat down one night and made 10 greeting cards. Yep you heard me 10! Now only 7 of them were for my soldier, but hey that's still a pretty good start if you ask me!

A few of the cards I made for my soldier.
Now that I am set for a few weeks on cards, I started to think about what I was going to send in my care packages. If y'all know me, you know I am not going to do anything half hearted. Since I do not have any experience with this type of project I decided to brainstorm with friends and family and do a little researching on Pinterest. Man on man it did not disappoint! I found pages and pages of ideas and themed packages. So true to my nature I copied it all down and organized it in a word document. After I got finished typing it all up, it was at 5 1/2 pages. Yes I am sure you are thinking I am a little crazy and you might be right, but hey at least I kinda know what I am doing now.

For the month of January I am doing a football themed care package. You know with just having the college national championship and playoffs for NFL I thought it would be fun. So I hit up shopping over the weekend and got some stuff together. The hardest part about this entire deal is trying to make it all fit in the boxes. Luckily I made it work and got some snacks, a nerf football, movie, and sports illustrated magazine in the box! Whew, thank goodness!

Its kind of hard not knowing who his team is, so this is pretty generic.
My first official care package!
If any of y'all have done this type of thing before and have suggestions I would greatly appreciate them! :)

I hope y'all are having a lovely week!

2 comments: